Museum of Natural History (or Municipal Museum
of Funchal) is situated in what used to be the old
residence of the Count of Carvalhal, at the
Rua da Mouraria. It is also well known as the
Palace of Saint Peter - Palácio São
establishment of this museum was undertaken by the
old director of the Municipal Library of Funchal,
Adolfo César de Noronha. A renowned
fauna and flora researcher who published several articles
about Madeiran zoology.
purpose of the museum was to collect and store
important information about the fauna and flora, and
mineral wealth of Madeira, and to make it available
to the general public. Since 1850 important species
were gathered, collected, and stored on the premises.
Including many types of fauna, animals preserved by
taxidermical methods, even mineral rocks, and so on.
It is possible then to compare species today with
their ancestors from the past.
collection includes many marine type species
- sea birds, mammals - such as sea lions, rare sharks
and even fossilised corals. A Special collection of
geological samples of volcanic rock are also
the first floor of the museum there is a small
aquarium with live specimens. The museum
endeavours to promotes the importance of environmental
preservation and is an important resource for nature
lovers and botany or biology enthusiasts.